Companies increasingly rely on diverse, multidisciplinary teams that combine women and men's collective capabilities, people of different cultural heritage, and a multigenerational workforce. However, simply throwing a mix of people together doesn't guarantee high performance; it requires inclusive leadership—leadership that assures that all team members feel valued, treated respectfully and fairly, and belong.
NAMIC's Leading Inclusive Teams program is tailored for leaders in the media, entertainment, and technology industries. An opportunity for a multicultural group of people to build leadership skills through the lens of inclusion. Leading with inclusion is designed as a learning laboratory. Participants will discover ways to build strong connections and synergies that emphasize inclusion and learn new strategies for sharing those insights and skills with their teams. The design and intended outcomes rely on each company sending a pair or pairs of participants, where one individual is from an underrepresented group, and the other is not.
The program provides participants with the practical tools needed to build highly functional, efficient, effective, and flexible teams—teams who are ready to meet the demands of a changing world, leveraging NAMIC's and UVA Darden's diversity, equity, and inclusion expertise.
Participants will practice inclusive leadership, bridging and leveraging differences within teams and driving equitable change.
This program is exclusively tailored for mid-career professionals in the media, entertainment, and technology industries who have completed either NAMIC's Leadership Seminar Program or the Executive Leadership Development Program.
- Mid-level executives with at least 7–10 years of leadership experience who have completed either NAMIC's Leadership Seminar or ELDP
- High-potential leaders on the fast track, who are poised and motivated to take on significant managerial responsibility in their organizations
- Individuals who are eager, engaged, and inspired to make a positive impact in this program and their organizations
- Participants will gain practical skills to build trust, create psychological safety, and embrace listening as crucial leadership skills
The session topics include:
- Creating Psychological Safety. We will discuss various ways to address the emotional and social needs of individual team members.
- Overcoming Biases and Cultivating Collaboration. Leaders and team members who understand cultural and ideological differences create a more productive environment. We will explore how to ensure everyone has a voice.
- Listening and Coaching. We will practice these critical leadership skills to help drive performance and unlock potential in each team member.
- Building Trust. We will look at culture and the organizational system and how leaders can build trust through rituals and symbols.
- Overcoming Team Conflict. Through a case, we will explore how conflict manifests, how it can be more challenging in diverse teams, and what the leader's role is in helping teams and employees effectively resolve conflict.
- Creating the Environment for Change. Leaders create an environment with their actions that help change to grow. We will explore ways to understand your team's emotional state and address concerns with care and authenticity.